20140426

21st Birthday

Frankly speaking, I've been meaning to come back here and tell all the stories that I've been keeping. However, with all the tasks and duties I am obliged to, I was forced to neglect this blog for a while. But with the constant push by this one girl who's staying back at the library with me, I have finally gained the focus to finally attempt in writing a post.

Birthdays are definitely special to everyone, regardless what age, race or religion they are. It marks the date when oneself is brought to life into this world. Not only is it a wonderful occasion for the birthday boy/girl, but also for the parents and the family.

Being the committee of the Malaysian Students Association here, I've been involved in a number of events here and there. It's been a splendid experience despite being just an amateur. Meeting new people and having to interact with so many new faces has always been a side hobby for me. Unfortunately, being so active does have its toll on me. Fatigue is something that I cannot run away from this year. With my time management skills going down the drain, I have to step up my game and focus more.

My birthday came on a Friday. I remembered the first few wishes came from Nadhrah, Elena and Kak Iman, all of which came through personal text messages. My housemates apparently didn't know it was my birthday since I was too stubborn to put it up on my Facebook. Like previous years, I never really cared that much when people fail to wish me a happy birthday. Instead, I appreciate more those who did wish me due to the fact that they actually remembered and had the effort to acknowledge it.

Since I have no classes on Fridays this semester, it didn't really bothered me that I slept a bit late. While everyone was sleeping, I called my mom and dad when it was finally midnight in Malaysia to thank them for giving birth to me and raising me with so much love. I eventually continued sleeping after those phone calls because I still had some work to do for UQMSA's Welcoming BBQ.

Having to sleep for only an hour the night before the Welcoming BBQ was really a pain if not a torture. That and the fact that I had to drive around a car to get stuffs from all over Brisbane. The event wasn't much of a failure, but it was still sad to see some of the Malaysians leaving with empty stomachs due to the insufficient amount of food prepared. Nevertheless, we did what we could and hoped for the best.

Once I was done with the event, there was this weird gravitational force that kept me on the bed. I fell asleep around 3pm and was unable to keep awake even after my roommate woke me up to perform my prayers. I ended up continuing my sleep again.

There's always something special about dreams. At times, it can haunt you for a number of days if not years. Sometimes it can turn someone's day upside down or right side up, depending on the situation. As I was in a deep slumber, the singing of a birthday song grew louder...




Yes. I do look ugly when I sleep. And having more than 10 people in your room of which whom aren't exactly all your housemates doesn't help at all. But how can you not love these bunch of people who are willing to spare some time to celebrate your special day?


Apparently, I was so immersed in my sleep that I didn't hear them despite being a few feet from my window.


No matter what she says, I still think she's the brains behind all of these since her birthday's like 4 days after mine. Besides, she's been asking me what I wanted for my birthday for weeks. How can she not be the mastermind?


To cap off, here's a group photo of the people who have made my 21st birthday such a memorable one. Not to say that my previous birthdays were bad. It's just that the element of surprise for this year's birthday was, hands down, the best I've experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment