There's always this one time every year that people waited for anxiously to come. If it's possible, they just want to greet that day once it reaches the front door. The day is unable to neither knock nor ring the bell as the person opens the door the second the day reaches. This particular day I'm talking about is called a birthday. After pledging to Allah to be such loyal subjects, Allah gave us life on that date. Unfortunately, all of us forget about the pledge we made. The only way for us to remember it is by the teachings from parents or guardian. Like an ID card, everyone has their own birthday. But people only remember the date and year, leaving behind the more important detail which is time. Annually, people would celebrate their birthdays either by throwing a party, keeping it to themselves or so much more ways.
Closing in to the 12th of February, I was excited to know that my brother was going to turn 10. A decade! I remembered when I lived to see the world after a decade back in 2003. It was a funny feeling though since I was too young to totally understand the meaning of life. Life for me was simple. I'm being taken care by my family and I should have fun. Was I so wrong back then. But anyhow, there were no celebrations for my brother this year. My mom just got into a serious argument during her meeting in the evening. My dad was dead tired after finishing his shift. I even felt guilty to ask their permission to go to Taman Gelora for a jog with Liyana. They entered their bedroom early while I was waiting for the clock to strike 12.00 o'clock.
As the clock stroke 12, I recalled the memories of seeing my brother for the first time. Since children weren't allowed in the patient's rooms (seemed more of a dormitory), I saw my brother's fragile body through a window. It felt like a miracle seeing a new life being blown into a body of an infant. That was 10 years ago. Now, I'm celebrating his 10th birthday!
But then again, what's the use of celebrating the birthday of someone who's long gone? It's not like we can bring him back to life by doing so.
No comments:
Post a Comment